Tuesday, June 14, 2016

The Lolita Cliché - Who Am I?

Today, I'm writing about two different Lolita 52 Challenge topics that go together: which Lolita clichés I fit, and which ones I definitely don't. Identity and Lolita fashion, as well as your identity in Lolita fashion, comes up a lot in the community at large. How should we act, as ambassadors of the fashion in the "normal" world? Should we change ourselves to fit a certain image? What should that image be? Most people would say (and I'm one of them) that Lolita is just clothes, and it has about as much bearing on your character as what kind of food you like to eat, but plenty of others disagree.

That said, there are lots of ideas that we all have, Lolita and "normie," about who a Lolita is.

The Clichés I Don't Fit


1. I don't collect plush toys, like Tsum Tsums or vintage stuffed animals.

2. I'm not really into Japanese culture. The food's great, and I love eating it, and I can appreciate parts of Japanese culture like clothing, education systems, and religion, but that's about it.

3. I'm not into Asian pop music.

4. I don't wear wigs! I always think about it, but I usually end up preferring to spend that money on accessories like headwear and bags.

5. I'm not catty about other Lolita outfits, or I try not to be. And most people I know in the Lolita world aren't. This fashion has rules, and if you want to wear it, then you should follow them, but my comms and I aren't going to coldly shun you if you don't get it quite right.

6. I don't stick with one Lolita style or color. As impractical as it is, I'd really like to have a wardrobe that has a good mix of Gothic, Classic, Sweet, and a few of the substyles that I really enjoy.


The Ones I Do


1. I love tea. Reading tea leaves is a favorite hobby of mine.

2. I try to bring cuteness and elegance into as many parts of my life as I can, even outside of Lolita.

3. I like reading poetry, plays, and classic stories like Alice in Wonderland, and have my own copies of my favorite titles. If I can spend my reading time lounging around in the park on a sunny day in my frills, it's even better.

4. I love, and own, Ragdoll cats. This might sound a little weird, but think about it: what cat breeds would you associate with a Lolita? Persians and Ragdolls are quite often favorites because of their long, lovely fur and sweet, cherubic faces. They're very ladylike felines, at least in looks.

5. I'm a brandwhore. I'll admit it. I can appreciate beautiful off-brand, indie, and Bodyline pieces, and will absolutely incorporate them into my outfits, but nothing will ever compare to the big brands for me.

6. I speak a "classy" second language. I don't think any language is "better" than any other, but French is one of those snooty choices that any stereotypically "proper" Victorian lady would know. I'm not fluent, but I can get by, and I love it dearly.

How do you fit or fall outside of of the Perfect Lolita Image? Let me know in the comments below, or link me to your blog post (if you made one)!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...