Wednesday, January 6, 2016

365 Lolita Lifestyle Challenge: Days 1-3

So, I'm a few days behind on the new challenge, but I'm determined to catch up! If you don't know what this is, the 365 Lolita Lifestyle Challenge is a fun set of writing prompts that was created by a blogger I really enjoy: Shannie Bee from Lace a la Mode. You can find more information about what it is and how to follow along here, at her blog.

Meanwhile, let's get started!

Day 1: Set a Goal for Your Wardrobe

So, with it being January and all, wardrobes as a collection are a big topic in the community. If you aren't familiar with the EGL traditions, January is the month when Lolitas make long blog posts showcasing their wardrobes! I'll be posting mine sometime later this month. Be sure to check the EGL Community LiveJournal for more.

One day, my wardrobe will look as organized as this storefront.
But not this year, probably.

This prompt is important to me because I would really like this year to be the year when my Lolita wardrobe finally clicks together, so being made to think about a goal is good!

1. Wardrobe Cohesion: This is the most important goal on this list! I have a bad, bad habit of impulse buying, and I almost never buy anything that isn't a dress. I have very few full coordinates in my closet, and it looks like almost nothing goes together. Part of this reason was that at this time last year, almost all of my dresses were pink. Right now, only two items are pink, and they don't even match each other. Everything else is black or green, with one navy JSK and a red one. So, this year, I'm determined to make my wardrobe work!

2. Weight Loss: Ah, yes, everyone's go-to New Year's Resolution. However, I'm starting off 2016 in a way that's brand-new to me: I'm living "on my own" (okay, I'm with my SO, but it's still the first time living without my mother) in a new apartment, located in a new state, and I took this semester off from university. So, why not make my weight go a different route, too? Last year was bad, because I injured my back and gained a lot of weight. It never really healed properly, either, so going to the gym was a huge (literal) pain. Ultimately, I was unable to wear a lot of my Lolita, and I hadn't worn it hardly at all in 2015. I didn't like how the weight gain made me look in my pretty clothes. This year, that's all going to change!

3. Regular Blogging: Commitment and follow-through are huge issues for me. As in, they're impossible. I love writing, I really do, but I don't think I've finished a single project in years. I'd really like to make this blog a regular thing, if only to put me in the habit of writing every day.

4. Go to More Meetups!: Last year, I went to my very first meetup! I've been in the fashion for about three years, now, but my home comm is centered in a completely different part of the state, and meetups were usually 3-4 hours away. But I always go to Colossalcon every year, and last year they hosted their first Lolita Tea Party. I was ecstatic to go, and had a lot of fun! I can't wait to go again this year! That's when I was introduced to some ladies from the Michigan community, and upon hearing that I would be moving to their state soon, they invited me to join. I went to one of their fashion walks that summer, and although I was crazy-awkward, it was still fun. Then, for this past International Lolita Day, one of the mods from my home comm hosted a tea party just an hour away from my hometown, so I was able to go! This year, I'd really like to go to at least 5 meetups.


Day 2: Look Up a List of Museums in Your Area



Because I've literally just moved somewhere new, this was a perfect opportunity for me to get to know more about my new city! You have no idea how weird it was for me to type that. I still think of the cornfields of Ohio as "home." 

Back Home:
  • Toledo Museum of Art: Of course I have to share the main art museum from my home town! I will say this for the place, we had a nice art museum, and I could dedicate an entire blog to it. I've gone to it a few different times throughout my life, as it was the hotspot field trip location for my school district. I went two or three times between elementary school and junior high, once again in high school, and then twice in college. You can see some of the pieces I got to experience here, at my Tumblr blog., but I highly recommend you go visit, if you ever get the chance!
One of my favorite TMA pieces: Woman With a Crow, by Pablo Picasso

Ypsilanti/Ann Arbor: 
  • University of Michigan Museum of Art: Disclaimer, I've never visited any museums here in Michigan. I know this says it's a university museum, but unis usually have some very unique collections, and not just of art. Mine, for example, is known among the students for the Life Science collections (birds, mostly, but I won't spoil for you what's on the fourth floor). So I think I'd really like to see what this U of M museum has to offer!
  • University of Michigan Museum of Natural History: There's a what twenty minutes away from my apartment?! I started out my educational career as a Biology major, and, in my heart, I never really stopped (I switched to Psychology at some point). Going through a list of their permanent exhibits just makes my heart race. "The Hall of Evolution," "The Anthropology Galleries," "The Michigan Wildlife Gallery," I need to go see this place! So bad! Plus, it'll give me an excuse to dress up ;D
  • There are also a few super-specific museums around, like the Michigan Firehouse Museum, the Ypsilanti Automotive Heritage Museum, and the Sindecuse Museum of Dentistry. I'm not particularly interested in going to these places, but I'm interested in why these exist. There has to be history behind it.
  • There are many other museums that I found on Google that I'd probably go to, but only if I had a reason. For instance, if someone decided to host a meet-up at one of these places (there's an art museum on a train???), I wouldn't be opposed to attending. Coming from a boring Ohio suburb, I think I'm going to really enjoy exploring this new area.

Day 3: Memorize a Friend's Wishlist

I'll admit it, I don't really have any Lolita friends. There are Lolitas in my communities that I really admire, and there are Lolitas that I will immediately go talk to just because we chatted at another meetup somewhere (which is basically how my first MI meetup went...). But I don't know anyone well enough to know their wishlist.

Instead, maybe I'll make that a new goal for 2016? Make a Lolita friend? Sounds good enough to me!

So, tell me! What are your 2016 Lolita goals? Are there any interesting museums in your area? Post your answers in the comments below! Thanks for reading, everyone!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...