Thursday, April 21, 2016

3 Trends I Wish Would Come Back

Fashion trends come and go like clockwork, and this is obviously true for any style. I remember that those Livestrong rubber wristbands were super popular in my junior high days (like gum, they often became currency), and then in high school, it was stylish to wear basketball shorts just under the waist beneath too-long, too-loose sweatpants, whose waistbands were to be rolled several times so that they could sit at the hips without tripping the girl wearing them. Welcome to the cornfields of Ohio, everyone :D

It's weird and green as far as the eye can see.

Anyway, Lolita is no different... except for the sweatpants, I guess. While it's true what most people say, that Lolita trends never really die or go away, and that a lot of the major trends of today have me really excited (an upswing in Classic and Old School styles!) there are still a few that I'd love to see make a comeback, which is why I thought this Lolita 52 Challenge topic would be perfect.

1. Fawn Fur


Fake, of course. FYeahLolita posted about this back in 2011, and I still daydream over it, even in the dead heat of summer. When I first got into Lolita, I remember that Baby was still selling its Sweet Fawn Beret, and it's been in the back of my mind ever since.


Beret aside, fawn fur to me is a perfect Sweet-Classic accessory material. The white-taupe-brown color scheme is perfectly versatile for both Sweet and Classic Lolitas, and adding it can make a coordinate go from simple to dressy, especially when the fur is paired with velvet ribbons, or give you a more cozy feeling in an autumn or winter outfit.

Unfortunately, I don't see this trend coming back any time soon. We're still reeling from the craze that was Haenuli's Enchanted Fawn print. Meanwhile, I'll keep dreaming, and keep my fingers crossed to find that cute Innocent World capelet somewhere on the sales sites...

2. The Natural Waist Silhouettes




This is one of my more biased preferences, because the natural and dropped waist dresses look a lot better on my figure than the current trend. Right now, the brands have been pumping out a lot of empire-waist and even higher dresses. This isn't new, they've been doing this en masse for a few years, and Baby has been putting out babydoll dresses since forever, but it's currently one of the main silhouettes for new releases.

Looking directly at you, AP

Anyway, I'm of the personal opinion that the natural waistline cuts are more flattering on more Lolitas. Obviously, everyone is different, and different people prefer how they look in different things, and that's fantastic, but this is just my personal preference, and I know that a lot of other bustier and plus-sized Lolitas feel similarly.

3. Full-Sized Hats



I love full-sized hats with Lolita, and not just the boaters and such you see during the summer. Victorian riding hats, the massive Edwardian pieces that are large enough to anchor a ship, and even fancy tophats! I don't know if these have ever really been a trend (bonnets ended becoming the go-to headwear for the current Classic craze), but it's still one that I'd enjoy looking at and participating in.


I found this hat on Etsy quite a while ago, and though it would be perfect for a themed coordinate I was planning (and still hope to one day make) based around Meta's Rabbit Cafe Frill JSK in black. The idea was to match one of the little rabbits in the print, complete with a red vest and a gold clock-themed necklace (and maybe a pair of tiny pink hearts just next to my eye).

What are some trends that you'd like to see return to Lolita? Let me know in the comments below!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...