Thursday, May 5, 2016

10 Things I Hate in Lolita

Alas, while I had lots of fun writing up the Things I Love post, its counterpart was also on the list. Here we go!

1. Having Money but Nothing You Like on the Comm Sales



Every Lolita's curse. This usually goes double for things like shoes or accessories needed to complete a coordinate. And then, the second you buy something, your dream dress pops up!

2. A Lot of the Brand Plus-Sized Options


Let's face it: a majority of plus-sized friendly options coming out of brands look terrible on plus-sized figures. Full back shirring is great, and I'm glad that the brands are at least open to the idea of larger sizes, but the current options on Angelic Pretty's USA site need a B-cup bust or smaller to actually look like a waistline, and Baby (though they often have some decent old school, fully-shirred pieces) does similarly if they choose shirring at all.

3. Driving in Lolita


Because I have a small car, and no one likes to squish themselves into the driver's seat.

4. Rocking Horse Shoes


This is a personal problem. I like how rocking horse shoes look, and I can appreciate it when coordinates make good use of them, but RHS and I just can't seem to get along. I only bought one pair, and I only wore them once. I fell down so many times that day, and still have a scar on my leg from one of the worst tumbles. At the end of the day, one of the shoes even broke beyond repair. I went on to my home comm's page and asked how in the world people walked in these, only to be met with a dozen comments like "I don't know what you're talking about, I stumble, but I never have any real trouble with them. :)" I swore that day to never get RHS again.

5. Angelic Pretty Custom Lace


It's totally cute, and I get why AP fans love it, but I just have this irrational dislike for it. I think it's because when I was in my early Lolita days and still researching, I had it drilled into my head that lace with a net base was Bad, and only things like eyelet, cluny, or Venice lace were acceptable.

6. LaceMarket and Lolibrary Constantly Going Offline


I generally like both of these websites: Lolibrary is obviously the best database of brand items we have right now, and LaceMarket makes purchasing and selling pretty easy, especially since I don't do anything on LiveJournal (I came into the fashion after Facebook became the primary platform for Lolita communities). However, if you've ever used either of them, then you probably know that they go down all the time. It gets annoying.

7. Antlers


This is another personal choice. I just don't like the antler headpieces, and I'm kind of glad that the trend is dying. They're very pretty when done well, but I can't help but lump it in with animal ears, which are also a Lolita no-go.

8. Toy Prints


I have one exception to this: I love Melody Toys. Stuffed animals playing in a little musical ensemble are just so adorable. Other than that, I've never really been into toy prints.

9. Cleaning Your Dresses


Most of my Lolita wardrobe is, luckily, able to get wet, but that doesn't stop it from being a pain. Though, honestly, the drying part has always been the phase I hate most. I can't use my shower for quite a while, and no matter what I do, the floor always seems to get wet.

10. Not having stock photos or info for older pieces

Image result for image not available

I don't know why, but I love having the release information about my dresses! What are the official measurements, what year did it come out, what did the stock photos look like? Unfortunately, some of my older and rarer pieces (*coughRibbonDollcough*) have rather lackluster Lolibrary entries and terrible stock photos.

What are some things that you dislike in or about Lolita fashion? Let me know in the comments below!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...