Sunday, May 29, 2016

Meta Brings the Retro

It's not a secret; I love Metamorphose. Usually. Mostly. I mean, we all know that Meta has questionable taste at times. There's a reason why they're called "the eccentric spinster aunt" of the Lolita brand family...



Listen, I know we all want to forget about
Jewel Leopard

... but when they get it right, they get Lolita really, really right. Everyone loves their grandma-couch florals, and the velveteen pieces are becoming a staple for everyone wanting to revisit the Old School roots of our fashion. Many of the people in my home comm have Meta prints on their wishlists, and with good reason-- Meta puts out cute stuff!

Mermaid Princess was a fun take on the jewelry print

Recently, during another late-night peruse through the Brand websites, I found that Meta is really pumping out the border prints right now-- Happy Balloon, Majestic Princess, and, the big one right now, Koi Koi! Floral Invitation. Between all of these bright colors and interesting designs, it was easy to miss this gem:


I'm so glad I clicked on this thumbnail, because I've fallen in love. Hard. This is the Candy Bottle OP, and it looks like something that Emily Temple Cute would put out if they went full-stop Lolita. The print is definitely bringing back the 1950s inspiration that sometimes gets tossed to the wayside in a style that likes to default to the Victorian era for inspiration. It's not the only one, either-- around last fall, the Candy Bar print was put out, and it, too, had very vintage-looking sweets.

 



Between the brightly-colored corner store candies and the traditionally Sweet cuts of all the dresses, the red and white colorways have a very Country Lolita-like feel to them, which the advertising is happy to point out. Maybe that's why I'm so enamored of it-- I love Country Lolita!



There are three colorways (Red, Off-white, and Green) and three styles of dress-- the OP, which is certainly my favorite, the Ribbon Shirred JSK (the standard Meta fully-shirred option), and the Lace-Up JSK, designed to look more like a matching bustier-and-skirt set. There are also matching hairclips, and OTKs that sort of got shoe-horned into the collection.

This print ran itself straight to the top of my wishlist! I just can't decide on which colorway I like best-- all of them are so pretty! The green is an unusual emerald that we don't see much in Lolita, the red is just so fun, and the off-white works really well to showcase the print. Either way, I just know that this is a print that I could stare at for hours.

What do you think of this new Meta print? Is it Jewel-Leopard tacky, not bad, or something you've got to have? Did you already purchase it? Let me know (and share pictures!) in the comments below!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...