Saturday, May 21, 2016

Gothic Whims

I'm known to obsess over different styles of Lolita every time the season changes: classic during the fall, shiro in the winter, and Angelic Pretty pastel messes the second the weather starts to warm up again. But as I've been trying to reinspire myself, I find that I keep daydreaming about Gothic Lolita-- a style that I almost never consider wearing.


incoorddk1.jpg
Elegy's Insomnia OP

Gothic Lolita plays to my love of non-print pieces with the textured fabrics and plethora of interesting details, and I adore the more romantic Goth accessories (I'll pass on the skulls and occasionally the crosses, but ravens and black cats are right up my alley). I'd even splurge on a nice black bonnet accented with roses or feathers.



It helps that the indie brand Elegy Clothing is based in my home state of Ohio, and I always see them at the one big convention that I attend. Their reviews from the last few years have been great, and while I'm not really into their prints, I'd definitely purchase many of their blouses (which are made with custom bust and waist measurements) and accessories. Especially the Cross Applique Apron.

kuroapron1.jpg

I would like to incorporate this into an outfit that has relatively plain pieces. I think the cross on the breast adds nice but simple texture, and would make my black FanPlusFriend skirt (which is usually used as an underskirt, but I like to wear it for casual coords) look more interesting.

I've also been loving the idea of handmade cabochon jewelry and going back to lace tights! I'd like to start learning how to make cabochon rings and necklaces, I think, even for non-Lolita outfits. I'm particularly enchanted by ones that showcase typed lines from a novel, though I'd be too scandalized to actually snip into a book. I might experiment with trying to copy the look by hand with a drawing pen, though, or type out the passage I want and print it out, then tea-dye it before making it into jewelry.

Gothic Whims coord

There are a bunch of things I would like to add to my wardrobe to get more Gothic-leaning coordinates going:
  • A black blouse, preferably one with a high collar and fancy sleeves
  • Black lace tights
  • Black lace gloves
  • Victorian-styled cabochons with pictures of ravens, black cats, book print, and dark flowers
  • A black parasol
  • A smaller Victorian-styled bonnet
  • Floral and feather corsages


Are there any styles that you suddenly find yourself wishing you were wearing? Does your taste in Lolita styles change with the seasons? Let me know in the comments below!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...